The boot splash screen and animation is something you hopefully don’t see all that often throughout your day, but it’s always nice to customize it if you can. The Moto X actually has one of the better boot animations around, but if you want to change the image in the splash screen (just before the animation), it’s not all that hard. Best of all….you don’t have to be rooted. Hit the break to get started.
Instructions per XDA forum member Jcase
- First, you will need an image. It needs to be 720 x 1280 and it must be in the BMP format. Save it in the same location as the Android SDK (see step 2)
- Make sure you have the latest Android SDK installed on your computer with the latest drivers.
- Enable USB debugging in the developer options on your Moto X. If this is the first time going into developer options, just go into “About Phone” from your settings and tap the build number seven times. From now on you will see the developer options.
- Connect your Moto X to your computer.
- Launch Terminal / Command Prompt
- Navigate to the fastboot/adb folder which will be inside the location where the Android SDK is installed (On Windows, it should be in C:\program files (x86)\android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
- Enter the following command to reboot: adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the following command to de-customize the bootloader: fastboot erase clogo
- Enter the following command to flash your new logo: fastboot flash clogo <filename>.bmp
That’s all there is to it. Enjoy!!
Note: If you are rooted, you can backup the current logo by entering the following command before you flash a new one…..
adb shell su -c “dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/clogo of=/sdcard/clogo.bmp”
Be sure to check out our other Moto X guides as well.