It was already known that Huawei’s presence at CES 2016 would usher in devices destined for released in the United States, but I’m not sure anyone was expecting this. Huawei, at its press event this afternoon in Las Vegas, announced the semi-new GX8 for the United States. The reason I say “semi-new” is because the GX8 is essentially a repackaged version of the original G8. The only noticeable difference on the surface is that the company will be inserting appropriate bands to allow operation here in the United States.
- 5.5-inch Full HD (1920×1080) TFT display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 octa-core processor
- 2GB of RAM
- 16GB of internal storage with microSD card slot
- 13MP / 5MP cameras
- 3000mAh battery
- Android 5.1 Lollipop; EMUI 3.1
- Measurements: 152 x 76.5 x 7.5mm
- Weight: 167g
Both Huawei and Amazon will be selling the GX8 online for $349 later in the first quarter of 2016. The two color options come with black and white front panels while the rear switches from grey to gold.