Kantar released their U.S. smartphone market share numbers for the 1st quarter 2013, and other than Android’s continued domination, there was some interesting news regarding carriers. It’s no surprise that the majority of smartphones are either on Verizon or AT&T. Verizon’s share is at 37.2%, while AT&T was at 27.9%. That’s a combined total of 65.1%. Sprint came in third at 12.3%, but the biggest news is T-Mobile’s decline of 3.2% down to 9.5%. In fact, T-Mobile was the only carrier to show a decline.
T-Mobile recently launched their UnCarrier plans that probably won’t change things for them since it doesn’t deliver what they are promising. The prices themselves are fine for those that bring their own phone, but the promise of buying phones off contract is simply not true. All they did was spread out the payments of the full retail price which you are obligated to pay, and is just another form of the traditional subsidized contracts that Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint offer.