Amazon has just announced that its brand-new Kindle Fire HD has become its best selling product since launch. No specific number of sales was mentioned, but the company did reveal that a fresh OTA update would be arriving soon, bringing with it a new feature called “FreeTime”. The new FreeTime service will allow parents to restrict their child’s access to specific applications, inevitably allowing for complete control over their children’s tablet use. Parents can create a list of restricted applications and set a time limit on those that aren’t. We suspect this will be a huge benefit for families that share their Kindles.
The Kindle Fire HD has undoubtedly proven itself to be a major competitor in the inexpensive tablet game. Although, with the impending release of a 10-inch Nexus tablet, it’s hard to recommend that anybody purchase one. Additionally, the 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD will be making its way to market on November 20th, so if your mind is set on a Kindle Fire you may want to wait until then. For more information you can read the full PR after the jump.
- Since launch, the $199 Kindle Fire HD is the #1 best-selling product across all of Amazon worldwide. Kindle Fire has been the bestselling product across Amazon.com since the launch of the original Kindle Fire last fall, and this continues Kindle Fire’s run as the world’s #1 bestselling 7-inch tablet.
- Today, we are starting to roll out a new, free, over-the-air software update that will make Kindle Fire HD even better, including bringing Kindle FreeTime. With FreeTime, parents can select all of the content their kids see, limit their kids’ screen time by content type and kids can’t exit FreeTime without a password.
- Kindle Fire HD offers customers premium hardware features:
o Stunning, custom HD display with 1280×800 resolution and a custom laminated touch sensor
o Dual-antenna, dual-band Wi-Fi with MIMO
o Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio
o 16 GB and 32 GB of local storage
o High-performance processor and graphics engine for snappy and smooth performance
o 11 hours of battery life
o X-Ray for Movies, X-Ray for Textbooks, Immersion Reading, Whispersync for Voice, Whispersync for Games, and Kindle FreeTime
o Front-facing HD camera with custom Skype application
o Bluetooth and HDMI out
- Kindle Fire HD offers deep integration with the world’s best content ecosystem, offering over 22 million movies, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, audiobooks and magazines.
- We offer the best cross-platform interoperability – the content customers purchase from Amazon isn’t just available on Amazon devices, it’s available on the largest number of devices and platforms, so customers can access content anytime, anywhere.
- We increased our exclusive content selection and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library to more than 200,000 exclusive titles. We also expanded Kindle Owners’ Lending Library to the UK, Germany and France.
Kindle Fire HD is the best-selling product since launch and we haven’t even shipped the best tablet we’ve ever built. Kindle Fire HD 8.9” is shipping November 20, and starts at only $299. The holiday season is upon us and our customer service teams are ready for millions of people to unwrap Kindle Fire HDs around the world.