Landmark Victory: Judge Rules In Favor Of AT&T Customer For “Unlimited Data” Throttling

 

Score one for the little guys. AT&T’s controversial “unlimited” data plan has made some noise in recent weeks. Since announcing they would begin reducing speeds for certain customers with the coveted unlimited data plan last year, it had since gotten an immense amount of criticism from many customers and even the media. After all, how can AT&T throttle data speeds for unlimited customers who pay the exact same a comparable amount to those who are on a tiered data (3GB/month) plan. Of course AT&T thinks its policies aren’t that bad, but one customer believes the policies are atrocious and had enough, so he decided to fight back.

AT&T customer Matt Spaccarelli decided to take action by taking AT&T to small claims court. He has the unlimited data plan and was being throttled by AT&T. He also contends his data speeds were being throttled, despite only using 1.5GB to 2GB of data per month and using by doing some thorough research, laid his claims and arguments before a judge arguing what AT&T is doing is wrong. AT&T countered by highlighting it is free to change the terms of its contracts or even end them outright, if it decided that the subscriber was causing adverse network usage. Judge Russell Nadel accepted the argument of Spaccarelli and granted him victory. Spaccarelli was awarded $850 which will go towards the remainder of his contract— or about $85 for 10 months.

Let this be a lesson for AT&T: customers aren’t happy and they’re willing to do something about your business practices. As an AT&T unlimited data customer myself and the victim of a threatening “text message warning” about my data usage, I can’t help but feel justice for all of us who are bullied by Ma Bell. Let’s hope it gets its act together, otherwise it will continue to lose support and ultimately customers.

(Photo courtesy of Synaptic Storage)

source: Google News
via: Phandroid

 

» See more articles by Roy Alugbue


Google+7Facebook27Twitter79
  • @androidklop

    Epic. AT&T and Comcast have spent years becoming more and more anti-consumer. $850 is nothing to them, but the principle is solid.

  • Guestviewer

    “I can’t help but feel justice for all of us who are bullied by Ma Bell” – bullied by MaBell (or any ISP with flatrates) are those 90% customers who are paying a to high price for their flatrate, because the other 10% customers are producing more than 50% of the network costs.

    I feel bullied by ISPs, which do not throttle those bandwidth hogs, which I’m financing with my flatrate payments.

  • http://www.facebook.com/LARichboy Richard Lowe

    So are they gonna stop this practice? I have received this text message for the last couple of months. They say once you get to that limit the service slows down, but the entire month my internet seems slow. This should’ve been a class action suit. Then AT&T would have realized this and stopped it.