Whereas the Pixel from Google is premium and pricey, HP’s new Chromebook 13 is premium and affordable. The Chromebook 13 has an all-metal design measuring 12.9mm thin, boasts a 13.3-inch Quad HD+ display, and packs an Intel Core M processor. All of these impressive features and much more are available in a Chrome OS-powered device that costs half of what the Pixel’s price tag reads.
Hit the break for details on the new Chromebook 13 from HP.
Based on the specifications, you’re staring at a Chromebook of the future. The Chromebook 13 isn’t like any others in its class that have come with disappointing displays or inconsistent performance because of low-end processors. Everything from the exterior to the ports to the internal components are high-end.
This device has a 13.3-inch Quad HD+ (3200×1800) IPS display, Intel Core M processor, B&O Play-infused speakers, and 11.5-hour battery life. Aiding in that lengthy battery life despite the powerful specs is Lucid Sleep, a software enhancement allowing updates even while the Chromebook 13 is sleeping.
Two USB Type-C ports are joined by regular USB and auxiliary ports on the left side. Those ports can be used with a new special docking station capable of mirroring the device’s screen to up two external displays.
HP’s latest Chromebook, which is thinner and lighter than you’d expect, is made of metal rather than plastic. It’s as premium on the outside as it is on the inside.
The HP Chromebook 13 goes on sale this week with a $499 starting price. Belonging to HP Subscription will get you the device for $16 per month with a three-year service package that includes accidental damage protection and free on-site pickups and returns.
HP Inc. Reinvents the Chromebook for Home and OfficeHP brings luxury style and design to Chrome OS
PALO ALTO, Apr. 28, 2016 – HP Inc. today announced the HP Chomebook13 , an ultra-thin Chromebook™ for home and office use. The device reinvents the Chromebook experience to deliver:
- A modern, all-metal design measuring only 12.9 mm thin
- The first docking solution for a Chromebook1 , enabled through HP’s USB-C Docking Station to deliver dual high-definition displays, full-size keyboards, wired networks and charging
- First Chromebook to use 6th generation Intel® CoreTM M processors2
- • Category-leading sound and video capabilities, custom-tuned in collaboration with audio experts from B&O PLAYTM, and a 13.3 inch diagonal QHD+ (3200 x 1800) resolution IPS display for optimal collaboration using apps like Google Hangouts
HP Design Meets the Chrome Experience
Designed with insights from customers on they want in a next generation Chromebook, the Chromebook 13 redefines the Chromebook experience for demanding users. It offers a sophisticated look-and-feel with a durable brushed anodized aluminum chassis and a thin and light design of only 12.9 mm thin and 1.29 kg or 2.86 pounds 3.
The device can easily switch from mobility to desk productivity, with up to 16 GB of memory for fast performance when running simultaneous apps and browser sessions. The high-capacity 45 watt-hour battery is made of next-generation high energy density chemistry material, delivering up to 11.5 hours of battery life 4. When a charge is needed, the HP Chromebook 13 features USB-C™ fast charging using the included adapter, or on-the-go charging via other USB-C power adapters, even a phone charger 5.
Built on Chrome OS, the Chromebook 13 offers a quick boot time, simple navigation and syncing, multi-layered security, and the ability to share and access information from any location. Other Chrome OS™ features of the HP Chromebook 13 include:
- Lucid Sleep, which silently updates documents, emails, and notifications while the HP Chromebook sleeps so data and messages are already updated whenever users are ready to resume working6.
- Multi-layered security, including automatic updates, sandboxing, verified boot, data encryption and recovery; see here for more details
- Built-in management enabling enterprises to secure and remotely manage fleets of devices from the web with Chrome Device Management
- HP Print for Chrome, an app that enables local printing from Chrome OS devices to HP network and local printers for fast, easy printing
Pricing and Availability
The HP Chromebook 13 is expected to be available in April, with a starting price of $499. Customers can acquire a simple bundled solution for $16 per month7 with HP Subscription. Subscription price includes a three-year Care Pack service8 , on-site pickup and return and accidental damage protection.