Select devices from the Xperia family are beginning to see a software update that brings with it the latest version of Android. And, no, it does not include the concept software being tested by Sony.
The Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact, Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact, Xperia Z2, and Xperia Z2 Tablet have been approved by Sony to receive Android 5.1 Lollipop. Sony also made some additions and changes of its own in areas like customization, photography, and enterprise:
- Increased customisation options — so you have even more control over the way volume, silent modes and your alerts function
- Brand new LinkedIn integration — be more productive with intuitive contact synchronisation in your Calendar
- Camera improvements — with faster, more accurate Superior Auto Mode focus for great images, regardless of conditions
- Enhanced enterprise support — with our latest Xperia in Business features for work
- SmartWear integration — selfie snapping made that bit easier, with SmartWatch 3 as a remote shutter button
Sony also went ahead and clarified the status of the software update for older devices. Here are the groups of devices to be taken care of next (in order of soonest to latest):
- Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra
- Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia C3
- Xperia Z
- Xperia M2, Xperia M2 Aqua
The company does note that the “timing and availability” of Android 5.1 for these devices will vary by market, carrier, or both.