Late last night, we posted about the leaked Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S III (GT-I9300), but now it’s official. Since this is a jump from Android 4.1.2, there are quite a few changes. Unfortunately Samsung didn’t offer a changelog, but SamMobile put together an extensive list. One thing to note is the absence of Samsung Knox, but that is expected with a future update. Also, the core UI has changed, but you will still find the old GSIII launcher and widgets.
As of now, the update is available to those of you in Ireland, but other countries will follow soon. You will be able to get the update via KIES or over-the-air. Only unlocked non-carrier versions are getting the update for now. Carrier branded versions will have to wait, hopefully not longer than a couple of months.
Hit the break for the changelog.
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
- Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)