By far my favorite feature of CyanogenMod is their customized native MMS application. It offers so much more functionality than the stock Android MMS app. While it looks almost exactly alike, CM and his group have added useful features such as the much popular emoji emoticons that were made popular by iPhone users. Other notable add-on’s is the quick reply function, pop-up feature, gestures for SMS templates, stripping unicode support, and much more.
If you’re running another ROM such as myself (RasBean Jelly), there’s easy and quick steps to follow to have this on your device. As with anything that pertains to ROM’s and customizing your phone, your device has to be rooted for this to work. While this should work for any phone and not just the Nexus 4, you most likely need to at least be on a ROM that’s on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and above. Let’s begin!
- Download the necessary file HERE.
- Place the Mms.apk file in your phones SD card or internal memory. (Don’t forget where you placed it)
- Download Root Browser Free from the market. I only suggest this because it’s free, but any browser that allows you to add or delete system apps works just fine, (i.e. Solid, Astro, File Explorer, etc)
- Open Root Browser and select “sdcard” to locate the Mms.apk. Make sure the file is named “Mms.apk” and if it’s not, long press the file and rename it.
- If it’s the right name, simply long press it and select “copy”. Once copied, you should have a paste and cancel button at the bottom like this:
- Then use the back button to head back into the main menu. Once there select “system” then “app.”
- Once there just simply select the “paste” option at the bottom. If you already have an Mms.apk there, just simply select the option that says to “overwrite it.”
- Once that’s done just exit out of the app and reboot your device! That’s it folks!
Once finished you should have everything I stated above. Here’s some screenshots:
If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to use the comments section!