One of the best things you can do to turn your Android device into a personalized smartphone is load it up with your own Ringtones and Sounds. Every Android Operating system comes with the ability to change the default ringtones, notifications and alarms. So whether you love waking up to some Metallica, or would rather simply change that facebook pop’ to a cowbell (and we all know the only cure for that disease is more cowbell), this guide will help you get the most out of your Android device, and truly make it your own!
First off, you should know that there are many traditional ways of getting ringtones onto your device directly from the Android Market. If you open your Android Market app and search for “Ringtones“, you’ll see thousands of results. Obviously, you can skim through those, but you may find what you’re looking for a little faster by typing in some tailored searches. Try searching for “Star Wars Ringtones” and you’ll see there are still many to choose from. Most of the ‘message’ or ‘sound board’ apps you’ll find have a set of audio files pre-cut into small audio samples designed for short ringtones, notifications and alarm sounds. Also, most of these apps have the option built right in to save whichever sound you select as any of those sound options just mentioned. It’s quick and easy.
Another way to get your sounds the way you want is to open up the application you want to change the sound for. If you want to change the way your gmail notification sounds when you get new emails, there’s a setting for that in your app settings.
- Simply open your app, press “menu” or “settings“, then “More“.
- There you’ll see your accounts. Press the gmail account you wish to change, then scroll down and press “Labels to Notify“, then “Inbox“.
- Now you’ll see “Ringtone“, where you can press it and choose from any available ringtones you have on your device.
Other apps, but not all apps, have the same options. You can set facebook to a specific tone as well, so that when you hear a certain notification sound, you’ll know if it’s an email, twitter update, or facebook alert popping up.
- Press “Menu” on your Home Screen, or press your devices “Menu/Settings” button, then press “Settings“.
- In the Settings list displayed, press “Sound“, then scroll until you see areas for “Incoming Calls” and “Notifications“.
- In this area, you can select the Phone, Video Call, and Notifications ringtones to change them to anything you like.
- Simply press the ringtone you wish to change, then in the list that shows, scroll and press the ringtone you wish.
- When you press on each one, it’ll play the ringtone for you, so you know what it sounds like before having to go back in and re-select one.
- Once you have decided which one you want, press “OK” at the bottom to confirm your selection. That’s it!