From time to time leaked builds become available for certain devices. Most of the time, it’s not the final build, and we never know for sure whether or not it is. In this case the Android 2.3.6 update for the DROID RAZR is now available for you to install, and you won’t need to be rooted. The new build number is 6.12.173 and it brings you to Android 2.3.6 from 2.3.5
We’re told this build brings a LTE radio update which is probably the biggest reason to install it. You will also find some Blur enhancements along with some new bloatware like the Moto Car Finder we told you about a couple of months ago.
Instructions after the break
**If you’re not rooted you can skip to step 4 and follow to step 9 only. If you’re rooted and want to keep root, please start at step 1 and complete all steps.
- Prerequisite step basically. You must be running stock (current ota updated version to 6.11.748) and still have all your 748 bloat intact etc etc. Anything that you couldn’t uninstall without root needs to be on the phone. This includes things like editing the swype files so that you could install betas. If you are not in this boat, chances are extremely good that you are going to fail the current system verification phase and the update will not install. Also, make sure you have 50+% battery. MD5 of the update package (Blur_Version.6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip) should be aa7fe6290c0d3a60253922bac413da02. You’ve been made aware.
- Disable Safestrap via the app. You do not have to remove the apk itself, but the system needs to be disabled.
- Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (free from the market). Open it and hit protect su (all the boxes should be checked green at this point). IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS STEP, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ROOT ON THE NEW BUILD. CURRENT ROOT METHODS DO NOT WORK ON ANDROID 2.3.6+. If you are not currently rooted and want/need to be, you need to root at this point with voodoo protecting root before you proceed.
- Drop the update file Blur_Version.6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip on your EXTERNAL SD card. Yes, the version number in the file name is the same as the one you’re on, but that’s how Motorola names their files.
- Turn off your phone
- Hold all 3 buttons (power and both vol keys) to turn it back on and select recovery from the menu that pops up (use vol down to scroll, vol up to select)
- Press Vol+ and – simultaneously to get the on screen menu. This menu behaves like CWM/SS for navigation.
- Install the update file on your card. It takes a while. It’s going to verify both the file and your current system before it proceeds. If your phone fails the current system check (most common) that means something isn’t factory in your phone’s system files and you’ll probably have to use RSD to fix it. (See source link for possible corrections)
- Choose “reboot system now”
- When the system reboots load up the voodoo app. You’ll notice that you no longer have root. Hit restore su.
- Open Safestrap and enable it again.
For more information on rolling back to 6.11.748, see the source link