Disney just set history today by allowing you to purchase Disney, Pixar and Marvel movies from either iTunes or Google Play and use them on either platform. This all done through the Disney Movies Anywhere app, which was already available on iOS. With the launch on Google Play, both platforms work seamlessly.
All you have to do is create an account through the Disney Movies Anywhere app or your desktop browser. Once you link both your iTunes and Google Play accounts, movies that you purchased from either store will be visible and playable to you. This holds for not only the app, but also the Play Movies & TV app as well as iTunes. This means you can also utilize Apple TV and a Chromecast. In fact, you really don’t need the Disney Movies Anywhere app, but you might prefer it for playing your content on your tablet or phone.
This is pretty significant if you think about it since no other app or service has ever provided a link between the native apps for both iOS and Android. If only this could work with every movie purchased, but hey, this is a big start.
Disney is also offering a free movie for those that open a new account. Just signup through the app (download links below) or through their online site.
- Watch your Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies anywhere you go, across all your devices!
- Build your digital movie collection with a library of hundreds of movies to choose from.
- Access exclusive Disney content for free, including original programming, never-before-seen videos, and much more.
- Watch movies while connected or download movies to your device for offline viewing.
- Earn Disney Movie Rewards points for every digital transaction.