In a statement made at MWC, Eugene Kaspersky (co-founder of Kaspersky Labs) said that he believes Android OS will consume 80% of teh smartphone market, leaving RIM and Apple to fight over the last 20% remaining, with Microsoft eating the crumbs off the table essentially. We know that Android has been hot and out-pacing many other mobile platforms in popular growth and activations as well, which may lend itself nicely to this type of prediction.
Eugene also said,”I believe that if Apple, BlackBerry, Microsoft don’t change their strategy very soon we will soon have the same mobile operating system landscape as we have with computers.” What he meant by that was the industry adoption of Windows PC’s, which left OS’s like Linux and Apple in the dust. Stephen Elop of Nokia mentioned that Android is a “black hole for innovation” for the wireless industry, but I’m sure he was just mad cause Google wouldn’t let Nokia mess with Android. I mean, why would you want to radically change something that is obviously out performing your own OS (symbian)?
Basically, it’s early to see if Eugene’s prediction come to light, but Android has definately been on pace to suggest those claims. Time will tell the tale.