For those of you Android owners who are rooted and love a little custom ROM action, I just might have some good news for you. Last night the CyanogenMod team released the first nightly of the CM9 ROM for the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S and Xoom tablet. I am sure some of you have already been using one of the few CM9 kangs that are floating around, but rest assured this is the real deal. This is as official as it gets.
Before you get all antsy on me and wipe all your data from your device let me fill you in on some of the details. I haven’t had the chance to check it out yet but according to Reditt user thastig, a few of the CM9 functions are not available yet and appear as dead options. Just because the ROM doesn’t have all of its additional features activated yet doesn’t mean your device won’t be fully functional. Everything is working so you don’t need to worry about loosing any of the stock features from your device (and now you can enjoy that cool boot animation!). As far as custom ROMs and developers go, the CM team and their series of ROMs are one of the most stable options available, support and updates are top notch too.
You can’t go wrong with this ROM, but if you are used to running CND or something similar, be aware you will loose some of the additional features you have come accustomed to. That’s not to say this isn’t an absolute treat by any means, I am super excited to see that we have reached the point of nighties. It’s only going to get better from here folks!
Jump past the break for Galaxy Nexus install directions/links and a link to other device builds.
Galaxy Nexus Install Instructions:
- Download the Google Apps package from Goo-Inside.me (a must! CM9 does not include them)
- Download the CM9 nightly
- Reboot into recovery through ROM Manager
- Create a nandroid backup under “backup and restore”
- Wipe data/factory reset
- Wipe “cache”
- To be safe wipe “dalvik cache” under the “advanced” menu
- Select “install zip from SD card” then select “choose zip”
- Select “downloads” folder (if thats where you placed the above downloads)
- Select the “NIGHTLY-toro-signed.zip” file and flash it
- Select the “gapps-ics-20120215-zip” package and flash it
- Select “back” and then “reboot”, profit!
You can find the Nexus S and Xoom builds here.