Yesterday, the bootloader was unlocked on some major Motorola phones by Dan Rosenberg; the RAZR (MAXX) HD, RAZR M, and the Atrix HD. Motorola devices are notoriously difficult to unlock, so that was a pretty big deal. Today, that unlock tool was released to users. As a warning, it does void your warranty, and the tool cannot relock the bootloader, only unlock it. Motorola also will probably fix the exploit used in a future software update, so if you want to unlock your device, it’s best to do it sooner rather than later.
To get started, you’ll simply have to have a rooted, supported device, then follow the instructions below, and remember that as of right now, this is irreversible.
Three final warnings before you make your decision:
- You understand that using this tool will permanently, irreversibly void your device’s warranty.
- You understand that it may not be possible to “relock” your device’s bootloader after unlocking using this tool. A side effect of this is that if you lose your device and you are not using disk encryption, a malicious party who acquires your phone may be able to extract all personal data from the device regardless of any lock screen.
- You agree that I am in no way responsible for any damage to your device as a result of using this tool.
Now, for the actual instructions. You’ll need to download the tool here before you get started.
- Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
- If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Motorola USB drivers available for your phone.
- Ensure your device has been rooted and you have a working installation of “su”.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
- If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute “run.bat”. If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute “./run.sh”.
There’s also a disclaimer that this will not work on any OMAP Motorola phones, such as the Droid Bionic or original RAZR. So if you were thinking about being adventurous, it’s probably not a good idea this time.