Earlier today we told you about the pending update for the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx and apparently that isn’t the only Motorola device receiving an update soon. The Droid 4 is also scheduled to get an update and will mark the first official update for the device since its launch. The new build will bring the device up to build number 6.13.219 (not ICS) and includes the MotoCast widget, improved battery life, fixes for the keyboard backlight and Wi-Fi connectivity and the rest of the goodies you see in the image above.
The update should begin to roll out over the next week but if you are anything like me and you will take any opportunity you can to snag an update early I got some good news. Thankfully for folks like us, our pals over at Droid-Life managed to procure the signed update and have already placed it into a flashable zip for all to enjoy. You need NOT be rooted to use this update and the file is only a mere 18MB in size. For those who are not rooted but plan to do so in the future, flashing this update will not break any ability to do so. For those folks who are rooted, it is recommended to use Voodoo Rootkeeper in order to maintain root.
If you are all ready to get started, jump past the break for a download link and full installation instructions.
- Download the above file and place it on the root of your SD card.
- Power off your device.
- Press both the volume keys and the power button at the same time and hold until the device powers up. You will now be in bootloader mode.
- Using the volume up key, select “Recovery” and press down both volume buttons when the exclamation point appears.
- Using the volume key again, scroll down and select “Apply update from sdcard.” using the power button.
- Scroll down and select the file named ‘Blur_Version.6.13.215.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip’. It should be there if it downloaded correctly.
- Your device will apply the update and reboot.
- you are now good to go with an updated Droid 4!