Following up on the success of the TicWatch E and TicWatch 2 series, Mobvoi is launching their most advanced smartwatch to date, the TicWatch Pro. The focus of this new model is battery life and a new dual-display setup can provide up to 30 days between charges. All of the bells and whistles for a flagship smartwatch are also here (minus LTE), and the new model will give Google’s Wear OS a boost with true innovation and fresh hardware.
Instead of trying to somehow shoehorn a larger battery inside of a reasonably sized watch case, Mobvoi is employing a patent pending Layered Display technology that puts an FSTN (Film compensated Super Twisted Nematic) LCD on top of an OLED display. Users can switch between the power sipping LCD and standard OLED, extending battery life between 5 and 30 days (depending on usage). The FSTN LCD display is highly visible in direct sunlight, but transparent when off, allowing the OLED to function without compromise.
“The TicWatch Pro is the result of our relentless pursuit to make a premium smartwatch that greatly resolves the battery life issues which have been inherent in smartwatches,” explained Zhifei Li, CEO and Co-Founder of Mobvoi.
The FSTN LCD display looks like an old-school digital watch face at first glance, but smart functions remain available. With the LCD enabled, the watch is in Essential Mode, allowing users to see the time, date, step counts and heart rate data. This will expand after launch with future OTA updates, bringing functions like distance traveled, calories burned, speed and cadence. Up to 30 days of battery life is available with Essential Mode.
In Smart Mode, the OLED display provides the entire Wear OS experience with up to two days of battery life. The LCD will simply disappear as a transparent top layer. When the battery drops to a low level, Essential Mode can automatically activate to extend battery life by another three days. Users can manually switch between modes as well. Wear OS features on the TicWatch Pro include:
- Google Play Store apps – Thousands of apps and watch faces are available via the pre-installed Play Store
- Google Assistant – Access the Assistant on your wrist for weather, to set a reminder, to start your run and more.
- NFC payments – NFC is built in for Google Pay
- Health and Fitness – Sensors include a heart rate monitor, accelerometer, gyro, magnetic sensor, ambient light sensor and low latency off-body sensor. Both Google Fit and Mobvoi’s own fitness apps are pre-installed
- Music streaming – Listen to music with Google Play Music, Spotify and more
As expected for a high-end smartwatch, build quality and specs are top notch. The bezel and rear cover are stainless steel, with a hard nylon (polyamide) reinforced with glass fiber case. The skin-friendly silicon strap is covered with a premium grade Italian leather. Specs for the TicWatch Pro include:
- OS: Google’s Wear OS
- Dimensions: 45mm x 12.6mm
- Display: 1.39″ OLED (400 x 400) + FSTN LCD
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100
- RAM: 512MB RAM
- Storage: 4GB of storage
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.2 / Wi-Fi 802.11bgn 2.4GHz
- Battery: 415mAh