It’ll be a lethal software update that finally puts the Galaxy Note 7 in the rear view mirror for Samsung, at least in the United States.
An announcement released on December 19 reveals Samsung will be rolling out a software update on December 19 in the U.S. to render the Galaxy Note 7 useless. This is because of the Galaxy Note 7 scandal in which devices were experiencing battery explosions.
Here’s the explanation from Samsung:
“To further increase participation, a software update will be released starting on December 19th and will be distributed within 30 days. This software update will prevent U.S. Galaxy Note7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices. Together with our carrier partners, we will be notifying consumers through multiple touchpoints to encourage any remaining Galaxy Note7 owners to participate in the program and to take advantage of the financial incentives available.”
It’ll be on carriers and their participation to get this software update out to customers, but not everyone is backing Samsung’s decision.
- Samsung debuts the Galaxy S7 Edge in Black Pearl
- Andrew Bowins leaves Samsung after Galaxy Note 7 scandal
- TouchWiz gets rebranded as Samsung Experience
Shortly after the announcement of the lethal software update, a Verizon spokesperson proclaimed that Big Red has no plans to disable any Galaxy Note 7s on its network. Verizon says it doesn’t want to leave customers without a device to switch to, especially during the holidays. So the carrier’s alternative is to stop using the the Galaxy Note 7 and receive a bill credit for another device.
The other three major U.S. carriers, however, have agreed to implement the software update. T-Mobile is first to deactivate its Galaxy Note 7, choosing to do so on December 27. Following is AT&T on January 5 and Sprint on January 8.
Since providing an update last month, Samsung says more than 93% of the Galaxy Note 7s sold in the U.S. have been returned.