MediaTek announced today at CES 2016 three new system on chip (SoC) processors that will be targeted at use for specific applications and devices. MediaTek is releasing SoCs to be used by manufacturers of Blu-ray players, wearable devices, and Internet of Things home automation products. All of the chips are scheduled to be available at some point during 2016.
For the multimedia consumer, MediaTek plans to release the MT8581 in the second half of 2016 for use in devices supporting 4K video playback. In addition to providing support for Ultra-HD resolutions, MediaTek’s new chip will also support high-dynamic range imaging to improve display clarity and contrast. MediaTek says the chip will be effective at supporting both new resolutions as well as being backward compatible for users who have not yet made the leap to the latest multimedia capabilities in their devices. Some of MediaTek’s previous customers in the market include Amazon and Sony, so expect to see new devices from those companies incorporating the MT8581 SoC.
In the wearables market, MediaTek is releasing the MT2523 that it says is 41 percent smaller than competitor solutions. One area where MediaTek focused was energy management and they claim devices using the chip could last more than a week on a single charge. MediaTek is also incorporating dual-mode Bluetooth and GPS capabilities in the chip to expand consumer-oriented features that will be available. The MT2523 is expected to be released in the first half of 2016.
Finally, MediaTek is releasing the MT7697 SoC for use by manufacturers of Internet of Things (IoT) home automation devices. For this market, MediaTek worked to ensure low power consumption requirements, a wide range of connectivity options including various types of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and the ability to effectively communicate with other devices. MediaTek says this will help “create a universal ‘eco-sphere’ of seamlessly connected smartphone, wearables and appliances.” The MT7697 is also expected to be available in the first half of 2016.
Check out MediaTek’s full press release about these device specific chips and keep watching TalkAndroid for more coverage from CES 2016.
Better Experiences Begin with MediaTek at CES 2016
MediaTek announces three new systems-on-chip at CES: One for the largest display in the home, one for the smallest screens and one to connect IoT devices in the home
TAIWAN, Hsinchu – January 4, 2016 – It all starts with screens. How that information we view daily – on our TVs, mobile handsets, tablets or variety of other devices – is displayed.
To deliver on its promise of making displays the best they can be, MediaTek is introducing three new SoCs at CES 2016. This trio of SoC’s create better experiences for consumers across all platforms and deliver better connectivity to the world around them.
- Home Entertainment – MT8581 is the world’s first Ultra-HD 4K Blu-ray player SoC with High Dynamic Range; a revolutionary viewing experience similar to the leap from VHS to DVD
- Wearables – MT2523 is the world’s first SoC that combines a high-resolution mobile screen, dual-mode Bluetooth and GPS, with industry-leading power efficiency.
- IoT / Connected Home – MT7697 is an IoT bridge that will connect smart gadgets and appliances to tablets, smartphones and the cloud
Demos of the new SoC’s will be available at The Venetian, level three, Toscana 3610.
“Our intention at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show is to showcase a group of SoC’s that will truly impact the way consumers use their devices, said MediaTek Chief Marketing Officer, Johan Lodenius. “The MT8581, MT2523 and MT7697 will each bring new features to home entertainment, wearables and IoT/connected home that were not possible before.”
MediaTek’s past, present, and future is in designing leading display technologies, regardless of consumer device. With a deep heritage in multimedia technology – and reputation as an industry leader in DVD, TV, audio, and phones — the brand is taking that expertise and applying it to forward-looking formats like IoT, wearables and more.
MediaTek is also in the midst of immense growth and innovation as we head into 2016.
- MediaTek continues to lead the industry in home entertainment as the top global chip provider in digital TV and third in the world for in Wi-Fi. The company is leading in market share for Blu-ray players.
- MediaTek currently ships 1.5bn units per year for mobile, tablets, and TVs. We project the global market for SoCs to reach tens of billions of units by 2020 with the addition of IoT significantly amplifying shipments.
- Substantial customer wins in 2015:
o Amazon recently announced the 4K Fire TV box and Fire HD tablets, which contain MediaTek SoCs
o SONY launched the first Android TV at CES 2015, using MediaTek’s Smart TV SoC
o Google selected MediaTek’s MT8507 audio SoC to connect its Google Cast to smart devices
With support for industry standards, such as Apple Home Kit, MediaTek is expanding opportunities for developers to build connected home software. MediaTek MiraVision™ is behind leading display technology in everything from TVs to smartphones and powers the upscaling to 4K and the HDR display.
“2015 was a banner year for the MediaTek brand that saw further expansion of our global footprint and we plan to build on that momentum in 2016,” said Lodenius
In 2015 company accomplishments:
- Thomson Reuters named MediaTek among 2015’s Top 100 Global Innovators, marking the company’s second consecutive year on the list. MediaTek is list’s only Taiwanese company.
- Interbrand ranked MediaTek among its Top 10 Taiwanese Global Brands 2015.
- MediaTek’s Founding Chairman and CEO, Ming-Kai (MK) Tsai, was bestowed the Global Semiconductor Alliance’s highest honor.
- MediaTek will present six papers at the upcoming 2016 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, marking MediaTek’s achievements in technology leadership.
Since 1997, MediaTek has been a pioneering fabless semiconductor company and a market leader in cutting-edge systems-on-chip (SoC) for mobile devices, wireless networking, HDTV, DVD and Blu-ray. Our tightly-integrated, innovative chip designs help manufacturers optimize supply chains, reduce the development time of new products, and extend a competitive edge in crowded markets. Through MediaTek Labs, the company is also building a developer hub that will support device creation, application development, and services for the Internet of Things era. By building technologies that help connect individuals to the world around them, MediaTek is enabling people to expand their horizons and more easily achieve their goals. We believe anyone can achieve something amazing. And we believe they can do it every single day. We call this idea Everyday Genius and it drives everything we do. Visit mediatek.com for more information.