For all you loners out there, Verizon has a new plan just for you.
For $60, you’ll now get unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data. If you are paying for your device with Verizon’s Edge plan, your monthly bill will decline by $10 to $50 a month. (Of course you’ll be paying the Edge payments on top of that.)
You’ll also have to be $15 for every GB you go over your cap.
Sprint’s new CEO Marcelo Claure has stirred things up after only a few days on the job. In a town hall meeting with employees of Sprint, Claure laid out plans to make the company into another disruptive carrier in the market similar to what T-Mobile has been doing. Claure’s plan has three phases – cutting prices, improving the network and lowering costs.
Earlier today a video from Sprint was accidentally released showing what appeared to be the HTC One (E8) coming to the network. The cheaper, plastic-bodied version of the HTC One (M8) flagship was released in China earlier this summer. It was unclear whether the device would make it to the U.S. market at the time.
Sprint has announced that they will start selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 on August 15th. Buyers can grab the 7-inch tablet for no money down if they sign up for a two year data plan and make 24 monthly payments of $12.50. To help sweeten the deal, Sprint is offering a $10 monthly credit for 24 months on qualifying data plans. Sprint indicates their version of the Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 is not only compatible with their 4G LTE network, it can handle the faster speeds of their new Sprint Spark network as well. This is the first tablet device in their portfolio that will work with Sprint Spark. Sprint will offer the device in both black and white.
The role of an employee in a carrier’s retail store is quite easy. They are there to sell a device. So they have some options as to what devices are the best for a particular consumer. New research conducted by Kantar Worldpanel shows that United States carriers are more inclined to recommend a Samsung device rather than an iPhone from Apple.
We already knew that HTC was working on the “ultimate selfie phone,” because it has entered the testing phases at AT&T.
But now according to a tweet from @upleaks, the device will also be headed to Verizon, T-Mobile US and Sprint.
We could also see the device going to carriers in both Europe and Asia as well. It’s a given that the phone will offer a better selfie experience than both the HTC One (M8) and the HTC Desire 816, but we’re not sure on any of the specifics. Stay tuned for more on this device, which we’ll surely hear more about in the coming weeks.
The LG G3 S, the little brother to the G3, has been renamed as the G3 Beat in Asia. But on Sprint, it’ll go by the “LG G3 Vigor.”
This is all according to a new leaked image from Sprint’s “Getting Started” guide for the new phone.
New results are in examining battery life for some leading smartphones across carriers and T-Mobile continues to demonstrate superiority compared to Verizon, Sprint and AT&T. Some of the results are quite impressive for T-Mobile and overall paint a widely divergent picture when it comes to battery life. For instance, the Samsung Galaxy S 5 was able to go 10 hours 57 minutes on the T-Mobile network while lasting only 7 hours 30 minutes on Verizon. Similarly, the HTC One (M8) was able to go 10 hours 50 minutes on T-Mobile, but only 8 hours 42 minutes on AT&T.
With the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile in limbo due to Iliad’s massive offer, SoftBank has decided to move on. Re/code is reporting that SoftBank, the majority owner of Sprint, is hiring Marcelo Claure as the carrier’s next chief executive officer. This comes on the heels of word spreading that Dan Hesse would be on his way out and both moves are expected to be made official on Wednesday.
The merger between T-Mobile and Sprint could be on hold with today’s news. Iliad, a French telecommunications company, has submitted a $15 billion offer in return for 56.6% of T-Mobile. The company values the other 43.4% of T-Mobile at $40.5 billion. The interest in T-Mobile specifically is because it “has successfully established a disruptive position, which in many ways, is similar to the one Iliad has built in France.” Iliad is putting so much momentum behind this bid due to the value for telecommunications in the United States. The industry is locked up by four major players, two of which are trying to merge, and one of them is up for sale.
If SoftBank wants Sprint to merge with T-Mobile, it better hope the entire process moves along a lot quicker.