Samsung and Apple are back in court again as Samsung looks to appeal the $930 million jurors awarded to Apple for intellectual property infringement. During the oral argument hearing yesterday, discussions were technical in nature, and discussed whether or not portions of the iPhone’s design was functional or ornamental. But that wasn’t the only aspect that the three-judge panel discussed.
Get ready for another courtroom showdown between technology titans. NVIDIA has submitted formal complaints that allege patent infringement on the end of Qualcomm and Samsung. The seven patents included have to do with graphic processing units. NVIDIA claims it did reach out to Samsung to negotiate a licensing agreement for the parents; however, Samsung allegedly declined and went ahead with Qualcomm.
Here is the statement issued by NVIDIA’s David Shannon:
We made no progress. Samsung repeatedly said that this was mostly their suppliers’ problem.
Without licensing NVIDIA’s patented GPU technology, Samsung and Qualcomm have chosen to deploy our IP without proper compensation to us. This is inconsistent with our strategy to earn an appropriate return on our investment.
Devices that are said to be utilizing the disputed patents include the recent Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note Edge, and Galaxy S 5. Last year’s Galaxy S 4 and Galaxy Note 3 are also eligible. The Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy Note Pro, and range of Galaxy Tab tablets are all involved as well.
The formal complaints were submitted to the International Trade Commission and the United States District Court in Delaware.
They’re back at it again. Apple has requested the United States International Trade Commission to broaden the import ban on Samsung. If successful, it would include a larger amount of Samsung handsets banned. Currently, Samsung is able to workaround bans in order to sell certain phones in the U.S.; however, Apple wants the ITC to investigate three more patents after they found that Samsung was previously infringing upon two patents.
With the government just being brought back from the shutdown, Samsung is expected to file an appeal to Apple’s claim.
Source: ITC Notice of Appeal
Today Nokia has decided to file yet another patent suit against HTC claiming infringement with the HTC One its main target. According to Nokia, HTC hasn’t taken any action to prevent infringement and said the company “tried to shift responsibility to its suppliers.”
Nokia’s obvious main goal here is to somehow stop HTC’s sales of the One. This is still a developing story, as soon as we know more we’ll be sure to let you all know.
Apple and Samsung are still going at it! On the road to innovation and market domination, Samsung has managed to infringe on a piece of an Apple patent. While they skirted the line on an infringement dealing with auto-detection of microphones or other devices plugged into its handset’s microphone jacks, an International Trade Commission (ITC) judge has found Samsung guilty of crossing that line with one of their other “innovations”.
The decision, issued back on March 26, was released Thursday and revealed that Samsung’s “text-select” feature on its smartphones and tablets is in fact an infringement on a key portion of Apple’s patent. Although the decision is not final, the full commission is expected to make a final decision sometime in August. Read more
The Galaxy S 4 was unveiled last week and already Samsung is facing patent infringement accusations. LG believes the S 4 may be infringing its eye-tracking patents which are utilized in such new features as Smart Scroll and Smart Pause. LG’s Optimus G Pro utilizes eye-tracking technology (and related patents) for its Smart Video feature. Samsung denies any patent infringement and LG also plans to find out if the South Korean giant infringed other eye-tracking patents dating back to as far as 2005. No lawsuit has been filed yet, although this wouldn’t be the first time either company has went after each other in court regarding patents.
Via: The Verge
Source: Yonhap News
The battle between Apple and Samsung has been going on for quite some time now, and we already know that Apple won a significant case against Samsung regarding patent infringements earlier this year. Well, recently a redacted document from the court case made its way to the public, and in it we find Judge Pender’s recommendations for punitive action against Samsung. Let’s just say it’s not looking pretty for the Korean company. According to FOSS Patents, an blog dedicated to software patent suits, Judge Pender made the following recommendations:
Apple has acquired a reputation for being overly-aggressive in taking its competitors to court over patents (as demonstrated by this awesome video called “Apple Kills Star Trek”). In fact, it was just a few months ago that Apple took Samsung to court and won a whopping $1 billion dollars for supposed patent infringements. Well, today it seems the tables have turned for the Cupertino company. In a strange role reversal, Samsung is suing Apple in Korea over IOS 5’s Notification Center. If your not up on Apple lingo, the Notification Center is a blatant rip off of Android’s intuitive notification bar, which pulls down from the top of your screen to reveal your most recent notifications. It is not apparent which specific feature Samsung is suing for, but it’s more than likely something that Samsung has added to the notification bar, since the original code was created and is owned by Google. Since the court case will be in Korea, Samsung will have the home court advantage and may even win back a portion of its hard earned 1 billion dollars. Apple has some good lawyers though, so we’ll see how this pans out. While we wait, feel free to kill some time by watching Apple Kills Star Trek after the break.
In a stunning turn of events, the US Patent and Trademark Office has filed an initial ruling declaring Apple’s rubber-banding patent invalid. If you recall, the patent focuses on an effect that can cause a page on a device to bounce back up after a user has swiped to the bottom of the screen on a mobile device. While this ruling isn’t final, this means that all 20 claims of Apple’s patent (No. 7,469,381) are now invalid— which includes an important one used against Samsung during their epic battle in the U.S. courts. The effect of this is major too: while we have a long way to go during the appeals process, this is perhaps the first step needed for Samsung to have the courts potentially overrule at least some of the major rulings.
source: The Next Web
And just like that, Motorola devices are no longer listed for sale in Germany. Despite Motorola not being found to infringe on some Microsoft patents, Motorola has all but begun its exodus out of the German markets. As of this time, no Android smartphones or tablets are listed on Motorola’s website. There is the belief that Motorola may have pulled the devices in order to rework the software in order to avoid infringing on any patents, but then again— Motorola has a clearly stated the following:
“As we have previously stated Motorola Mobility is focusing on fewer mobile devices. As a result we have phased out some of our lower tier devices in Europe/Germany.”
A focus on selling fewer mobile devices huh? Considering the Motorola Android devices are wildly popular in Germany, we can only hope that
Google Motorola knows what it’s doing.
source: The Guardian UK