What exactly happened to the above Nexus 7, you ask? Well, put simply–it exploded. Apparently the device spontaneously combusted as a result of being plugged in to a standard wall charger.
The owner, who posted the set of images in a Chinese forum, claims she left the device to charge for a total of 3 hours using the factory OEM charger before the tablet went up in flames. As we’ve seen before, these types of incidents leave plenty of room for controversy, though it seems as though this particular case is legitimate. In fact, ASUS has already acknowledged the problem and has sent out a fresh replacement free of charge.
Considering this is the first we’ve heard of this type of thing happening to a Nexus 7, we’re hoping the problem is isolated to this single unit. However, until we hear something official from ASUS, you may want to make sure your device isn’t sitting next to anything valuable or flammable.
Hit the break for a duo of additional images. » Read the rest