CES is as good a place as any to demonstrate an breakthrough product as you all know. That’s why Qualcomm chose the event to demonstrate its GameCommand app. As we highlighted before, GameCommand is an app that features a library of over 100+ games that are optimized for devices with Snapdragon-based processors. Rob Nazarian went hands-on with the app to get a feel of what it is and its overall uniqueness. Right off the bat, we can see the cool Grouping feature which essentially allows you to group your existing .apk files— specifically games, into one easy to access column for quick viewing and access.
There’s more to GameCommand too. You will also see the Features column which is the main feature of the app: seeing all of the games available in the game pack. Here you will find a nice lineup of available games ready for you to download and play. You can also see nice preview information for each game including pictures and even some video demos of the gameplay. The final piece of the app is the ability to see gaming news from various sources. That means you will be up to date with all of the gaming rumors, news and notes. Moreover, Qualcomm plans to update the feature to include the ability for users to add in their own RSS feeds from their favorite sources. Be sure to check out the video below to get a better understanding of the app and to see it in action.
We had a chance to sit down with OnLive CEO Steven Perlman. As you know OnLive is a cloud based gaming service that was officially launched about a month ago. It’s basically a Netflix type of service for gaming. You can buy in at a monthly rate of $9.99 a month or purchase individual games for approximately $40+ each. Right now there about 200 games available from every genre. You can play with people all over the world and even watch games in action as they are happening as a spectator. You can quickly and easily save highlights from your games and share the via them and others can rate them.
OnLive works on your tablet, smartphone, Logitech Revue, or the recently released Vizio VAP430. Since it’s cloud based, it always saves your game data so you can seamlessly switch from the TV to your tablet or vice verse. You can even pair the controller with tablets and the USB connector works with the Logitech Revue. The app for the revue just launched, however, you can only use it as a spectator. In the coming weeks an update will take place in which it will give us the ability to play any of the 200+ games.
This is truly an amazing service and I believe it’s the future of gaming. Whether you’re a hardcore or casual gamer, you need to checkout this hands on video presentation by Steven.
Qualcomm is looking to open up 2012 with a bang. The company has announced this morning they will launch the Snapdragon GameCommand app in the Android Market on January 10, 2012— also known as the opening day of CES (which Talk Android will be at giving you round the clock coverage by the way).
For those of you who don’t know, the GameCommand app is much like Nvidia’s TegraZone, but better. GameCommand will feature more than 100 optimized games for Snapdragon-based phones and tablets. Some of the highlighted games include Fight Game Heroes, Bunny Maze 3D and Desert Winds. Boy oh boy, CES can’t get here soon enough. Hit the break for the full presser from Qualcomm and start salivating over the lineup of sweet games.
Unfortunately there is only one Tegra 3 device available and most who want one, can’t put their hands on one. Those of you lucky enough to get a Transformer Prime, you need to head over to the Android Market right now and pick up Shawdowgun THD, which is the Tegra 3 version of the popular game. Check out our review here. It will cost you $4.99, but I am sure it will be worth every penny with the console quality graphics.
Download links and video after the break
It’s not getting the greatest reviews, but Electronic Arts just released Real Racing 2 in the Android Market. Some users are complaining about support for their phones and others say they can’t download the game data. It’s not even compatible with the Galaxy Nexus. All in all, this one might be worth watching as I am sure EA will provide some timely updates that will make this an exciting racer. It’s a freemium app which means it’s free to try, but you will have to spend some money to unlock the full game. The full game features:
- Test your racing prowess on a 16 car grid against highly skilled AI drivers.
- Select from 30 officially licensed cars including the 2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500, 2010 Nissan GT-R (R35), 2012 McLaren MP4-12C, and more!
- Work your way from rookie to pro in a robust Career Mode, offering 10 hours of racing enjoyment. Jump into a Quick Race for instant fun – or race against the clock in Time Trial Mode.
- Race in 15 beautiful locations, with 40 miles of highly detailed race tracks, speedways and city circuits – including twilight and night races.
- Touch or tilt to steer, as you experience state-of-the-art handling with customizable options that tailor to your personal driving style.
- Experience the intensity of head-to-head racing with 5 unique camera angles and breath-taking graphics powered by Firemint’s exclusive high performance Mint3D™ engine.
Jelly Defense, one of the many great games recently offered in the Android Market 10 cent promo sale, has just received a new season-based update. After you download the update you will get access to new Christmas themed levels and music, new gameplay options and improvements, and added performance enhancements. Take a look at the full changelog as listed in the market:
- Two winter levels for Christmas evenings.
- Challenging endless level.
- New and cozy Christmas tune.
- Increasing the difficulty after finishing the game isn’t mandatory anymore. You can now go back to previous levels.
- Minor performance improvements.
- Minor gameplay adjustments.
- Reindeers & cookies!
Unfortunately, if you haven’t already purchased the game during the sale, the price went back up to the usual $2.99. I haven’t spent much time playing this game, but I do remember the graphics being excellent. Hit the market link below to check it out for yourself and to get the latest update.
Gameloft just released NFL Pro 2012, their newest freemium HD game, in the Android Market and the Gameloft HD Games Shop. In case your aren’t familiar with freemium apps, it means it’s free to get started, but certain extras will cost you or you can unlock them by winning challenges. In this case you will play matches to earn points that you can use to unlock new stadiums, playbooks, stat boosts and more.
NFL Pro 2012 features:
- THE ENTIRE NFL IS HERE With an official NFL and NFL Players License, choose to play and manage any of the 32 NFL teams with over 2,000 real players.
- UNLOCK YOUR FULL POTENTIAL Compete against other teams to earn points for boosting stats, unlocking new stadiums or playbooks, and much more!
- FOOTBALL THE WAY YOU LOVE IT Enjoy stunning graphics and an impressive level of detailed player animations that include running, tackling, celebrating touchdowns and more.
- AN EVEN MORE IMMERSIVE FOOTBALL EXPERIENCE Play through finely tuned gameplay that offers gamers unmatched control when running, tackling or passing.
- NEVER LOSE TOUCH WITH YOUR TEAM Get all the latest and most up-to-date news with a new official NFL RSS feed integrated directly into the game!
Today’s a great day if you use GetJar Gold. The company has announced a collaborative effort with developer 10tons Ltd. where gamers can get the full version of Joining Hands for free. In case you’re not familiar this is a puzzle-based game. The creatures in game are called Peablins, little forest creatures who wish to make the world a brighter place by joining hands with everyone. You’ll get to see the sweet graphics highlighting the fantasy world of Whispering Woods across no less than 100 levels. If you have GetJar Gold, definitely give the game a shot if you have some time to spare– you won’t regret it.