Back in August we posted about a competition that Samsung were running in the UK where the winners would be testing smartphones for the global electronics company. The winners would become part of a group of people called ‘Mob!lers‘. Samsung would then provide each of them with a smartphone and the ‘Mob!lers’ would go away, use their brand new smartphones, and report their experiences online. This way Samsung could generate some fantastic online marketing for their latest devices.
It’s now three months on since the competition was launched and I can confirm that one of TalkAndroid.com’s very own staff was a winner and become one of the ‘Mob!lers’. That staff member was me! Unfortunately this little project has ended up using a lot my spare time, time that I would have normally used to post on TalkAndroid.com. However, with the competition drawing to close very soon, I thought I would do a short write up and let you guys know what it has been like being a ‘Mob!ler‘.
Samsung started the ball rolling at the start of October by inviting all 20 of the competition winners down to their UK Head-Quarters in Chertsey, Surrey. This gave Samsung the chance to welcome all the Mob!lers to the group and get to know each other. It was a great day out and culminated in Samsung providing us all with our new smartphones. Half the group were given Samsung Wave’s, and the other half were given Galaxy S’s.
Then over the last couple of months Samsung have been emailing us each week with a new Mission to complete. Missions have varied from doing reviews about mobile games to demonstrating the built in cameras on our smartphones. This has resulted in a lot of the ‘Mob!lers’ setting up small blogs, YouTube channels, Flickr accounts, and much more (see links to all Mob!lers content below).
Samsung must have been impressed with the progress that we had all been making because a couple of weeks ago they shocked us with a piece of news. The news was that they would be providing each Mob!ler with a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab. I’m sure you can all picture our excitement with this piece of news. Since then we have been asked to complete a couple of Missions using our new tablets.
The whole competition is now drawing to a conclusion in the next couple of weeks and Samsung have one more firework up their sleeve. When the last Mission has been completed by the Mob!lers, Samsung are going to be choosing the best 3 out of the 20 and flying them to South Korea to visit their Global Head-Quarters! It’s promises to be a fantastic trip and one that all the Mob!lers are eager to win (not least myself!).
So far it’s been a fantastic experience. I’m sure that Samsung will be doing something similar to this in the future, so you guys might still get a chance to become a Mob!ler in the future. In the mean time you can see all of the Mob!lers activity so far using the links below.
I have been keeping a blog for all of my Mission entries. You can find this blog at: http://mikethemobiler.tumblr.com
Samsung also have a dedicated Facebook page for the Mob!lers at http://www.facebook.com/SamsungUK?v=app_4949752878
All the other Mob!lers content can be found here:
- Emma Rouse-Deane – http://www.rd1701.me.uk/blog/
- Andrew McSweeney – http://andrewmcsweeney.com/
- Shreedhan Vaidya – http://technoloshree.tumblr.com
- Kin-Hing Lo – http://cow.neondragon.net/
- James Rintamaki – http://www.jrin.net/
- Duane Harrison – http://blog.duaneharrison.co.uk
- Dom Armstrong – http://www.domarmstrong.co.uk/
- Scott Bowerman – http://www.scottmobiler.blogspot.com/
- Bilal Hassam – http://bilal-mobiler.blogspot.com/
- Naji El-Arifi – http://safenaji.blogspot.com/
- Nikki Tweed – http://nikkimobiler.blogspot.com/
- Cat Ashton – http://www.catashton.co.uk/
- Husam Elfaki – http://www.galaxyturbo.net/samsung/
- Kenneth Paul – http://www.youtube.com/TheSamsungMobiler
- Amy – http://www.youtube.com/user/amysamsungmobiler
- Lisa King – http://www.lisasworld.co.uk/
- Stacey Downton – http://staceysamsungmobiler.blogspot.com/
- Matt Green – http://www.youtube.com/user/mattsgreenuk
- Wil Wong – Unavailable
There is also a main Samsung Mob!lers blog that can be found at http://www.samsungmobiler.co.uk/