Aliababa, the extremely large Chinese commerce company, is reportedly working on a video streaming service to rival Netflix in China. The service will be called TBO, or Tmall Box Office, and will operate on a mostly paid-content model. The company plans to keep around 90% of the content behind a paywall, either by subscription or a one-time fee for shows or episodes. The other 10% will be free.
The Chinese online video streaming market is very competitive, although a huge company like Alibaba stands a better chance at getting a foothold than some other contenders. Netflix still doesn’t officially have a presence in China, which likely has something to do with the poor track record of foreign companies attempting to succeed in China. Read more
Huawei’s Watch was first unveiled at MWC back in March, and it is still one of the better-looking Android Wear devices around. There is no set shipping date for the Huawei Watch just yet, although it is available to pre-order in most countries. Not in China though, availability of the Huawei Watch has been delayed until at least September, although October hasn’t been ruled out if things don’t go to plan.
Over the last few months, we’ve reported on the various launches of Xiaomi’s smartphones, but just how well have the handsets fared in terms of units sold? Pretty well, it would seem. Lei Jun, Xiaomi’s CEO, has shared some impressive sales figures on his Weibo account. Read more
Smartphone sales saw a sizable growth during the first quarter of 2015, which Gartner says is due to an increase of smartphone sales in emerging markets. This makes sense, since smartphone sales have somewhat slowed down in the bigger markets, so many companies are attacking the smaller areas where not everyone has a smartphone already.
Emerging markets saw a roughly 40% increase during Q1, helping smartphones reach sales of 336 million units. Key regions included Eastern Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and the Asian/Pacific market. Read more
Xiaomi has a history of releasing budget smartphones with more than decent specifications, one of which was the well-received Redmi 2 handset that retailed for around $110. The Chinese manufacturer has gone one better though, with its Redmi 2A handset being discounted from $96 to just $80 in China.
HTC almost seems like it’s satirizing itself at this point. The company has announced another variant of the HTC One that’s slated for China later this year, adding to the flooded flagship market that the company is trying to tackle this year.
Originally we got the One M9, which was a little boring, but stuck to HTC’s simple, yet sophisticated standards. Then, the One M9+ was announced. It featured an actual upgrade to last year’s M8, with a higher resolution screen, fingerprint scanner, etc. It probably wasn’t great that HTC announced it right on the heels of the regular M9, and it definitely didn’t help that the M9+ isn’t available globally. Read more
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi has released a teaser image for an upcoming water-related event it’s holding on Wednesday, June 10, in China.
Motorola has just announced that it will start offering its device personalization service, Moto Maker, in China next month, where the platform will be available for the Moto X at the cost of RMB2,699 ($435), the Moto X Pro for RMB3,999 ($645) and the Moto G for RMB999 ($161).
A new HTC device was certified in China with the model number WF5w. This phone obviously isn’t official, but the Chinese certification page lists the physical dimensions at just 152 grams and 7.49 mm thin. That bests HTC’s current thinnest smartphone, the E9+, by a small margin.
The phone reportedly runs Android 5.0.2 with a 5.5-inch, 720p display. There’s an octa-core processor on board, 2 GB of RAM, 13 megapixel front and rear cameras, and 16 GB of internal storage with an SD card slot. The phone isn’t bad by any stretch, but it’s clear the thinness will be the most unique feature here. Read more
Gionee’s Elife E8 smartphone has been making the rounds of late. The device has now been certified by Chinese certification database TENAA, giving us a brief glimpse of its hardware as well. Although the specifications were revealed by a previous leak, we’re getting word on the camera now, which has taken us a bit by surprise. Read more