If there’s one thing Samsung is good at, it’s flooding a potential market with tons and tons of devices. The smartwatch market has been no exception, and the company has deluged consumers with multiple options to pair with their Galaxy devices. Remember, the Galaxy Gear launched at the end of 2013 with the Galaxy Note 3, and since then we’ve had the Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, Gear Fit, Gear S, and Gear Live. For those of you keeping count at home, that’s about 6 devices in 18 months, which means they’re releasing a new watch roughly every quarter. Read more
With 2014 in the books, we’re finally getting the numbers to see how each manufacturer and OS did over the past year. The good news for Google and Apple (and bad news for the likes of Microsoft and BlackBerry) Android and iOS accounted for a whopping 96.3% of all smartphones shipped. That leaves a very small 3.7% for Windows Phone and everything else that’s competing for scraps.
When you break the numbers down between Android and iOS, though, Android came out a clear victor in the market share battle. Android devices accounted for 81.5% of all phones shipped, finally breaking the 1 billion mark for smartphones. Compared to those 1 billion Android smartphones, Apple shipped 192 million phones for 14.8% of the market. Read more
A user on reddit has posted about his experience as a new employee with a company that has access to voice recordings that he claims are commands given to mobile devices. According to this individual, some of the recordings specifically refer to Siri, Apple’s voice-activated search and command app. The reddit poster also implicates Microsoft’s solution, Cortana, and other posters have pointed out that Google is also saving Google Now commands. Although this user has access to the recordings, the employer is none of these major companies. Read more
Apple kicked some serious butt with the iPhone during the 4th quarter of 2014 after finally increasing the display size to something respectable. One the other hand, Samsung hasn’t been doing so well. It’s no surprise that their market share has dropped, but you might be shocked at how much.
According to Strategy Analytics, Samsung’s worldwide smartphone market share dropped to only 10% for the 4th quarter 2014. That’s the lowest it has been since the 4th quarter 2011. Apple came in at a whopping 48.9%.
According to a report published by The Korea Times earlier today, a number of Samsung’s engineers, who happen to be experts in image processing, signal processing and battery development, have been “aggressively” poached by Apple. The Cupertino company lured them away from the South Korean technology giant by offering highly-competitive benefits together with large annual paychecks.
Xiaomi continued its inexorable rise in China, rising to 13.7% of market share in Q4 of 2014, while Samsung’s ongoing decline in China continued through the last quarter, slipping to 7.9% of the market, down to fifth place behind Xiaomi, Apple, Huawei, and Lenovo.
The Harris Poll has released the results of their annual poll of corporate reputation and Samsung has moved all the way up to number 3 in the rankings, surpassing Apple along the way for the first time. Samsung moved from seventh in the prior year while Apple fell from third down to ninth. Some other notable tech companies also made the top ten including Amazon at number two and Google slid in to the tenth place. Read more
Comparing Android to iOS is always a delicate topic. Both sides have hard-core fans who are often unable to appreciate what the opposite number brings to the table. One aspect that is often brought up by iOS fans when debating which OS is best is the alleged ‘bugginess’ of the Android operating system when compared to the ‘reliability’ of Apple’s mobile offering. This point of contention would appear to be invalid though, with the news that the latest version of Android (Lollipop) offers increased stability. By comparison, it seems that iOS 8 has gone in the opposite direction, with it’s users experiencing higher app crash rates.
A new report mentions that Apple took up almost 93% of the profits that were generated in the handset market in the fourth quarter of 2014. The remaining was taken by Samsung, says Canaccord Genuity, which is an investment firm. Read more
Apple and Google might battle for supremacy when it comes to smartphones and tablets, but the healthcare sector is going to be another big battleground. It’s still early in the game, but Apple is already winning.
Reuters contacted 23 top U.S. hospitals and 14 of them are conducting a pilot program using Apple’s HealthKit. Google offers Google Fit, which isn’t as advanced at HealthKit, but they have started discussions with a few hospitals. Another player is Samsung, but just like Google, they barely have a foot in the door.