HeroCraft is building upon their success of the Strategy & Tactics series by releasing a 3rd game, Strategy & Tactics: Medieval Wars. You guessed it, this one is set in medieval Europe. You will lead the armies of England and France, as well as the armies of the crusaders in three campaigns.
The gameplay is the same as Strategy & Tactics: World War II and Strategy & Tactics: USSR vs USA. It’s a lot like Risk in that you need to knock out other armies to take over regions. You won’t find any explosions or amazing graphics, this is pure strategy on hand drawn maps. You will need to make decisions based on the strength and/or weakness of your soldiers. Should you divide and conquer or keep them together? Battles will take place during the Norman Invasion, the Crusades, the Hundred Years’ War, the Reconquista, the War of the Roses, the Albigensian Crusade, and endless peasant riots. You can also play against friends in Hotseat mode.
Just like the other editions, it’s not an easy game, but if it’s your first time playing, HeroCraft has a very comprehensive tutorial to get your going. Medieval Wars is free and includes 3 missions, one hotseat mode map, and one historical game scenario. For $2.99, you can grab the premium version, which adds 2 historical campaigns, 3 independent historical scenarios, and whole lot more. See below. I also included the game trailer and the walkthrough of the first battle. Let me know what you think.
- 3 historical campaigns, with 16 missions in total
- 4 independent historical scenarios
- Several Skirmish mode maps
- 17 types of units
- Multiplayer mode Hotseat
- Turn-based battles, economic and military research
The following content is available in free version:
- 3 missions of England campaign
- One Hotseat mode map with fixed game settings
- One historical game scenario
The following content is available in premium version:
- Complete England, France and Crusaders campaigns with 16 historical missions in total
- Uploading of new campaigns available in future update
- Multiple Skirmish mode maps with various customisable game settings
- Uploading of new Skirmish mode maps available in future update
- Four unique game scenarios available
- Uploading of additional game scenarios available in future update
- Several Hotseat multiplayer mode maps with various customisable game settings