They say more and more people are eating out, but there is certainly no shortage of cooking shows and recipe apps. There’s still a lot of people that enjoy cooking at home and looking for new recipes. Top Recipes, from SplashPad Mobile is an app that features over 2,400 recipes for just about any category you can think of including appetizers, desserts, dinners, casseroles, dips, sides, etc.
The app itself is compatible with tablets and phones (now on the Nexus 7) and is very easy to navigate. Along the top you will find different sections, which consist of Favorites, Menus, Categories, My Shopping List, and the Weekly Bonbon. Favorites are pretty self explanatory. You can make any recipe a favorite so you can find it easily in the future. The menu feature is a pre-defined list of recipes that might include an appetizer, main course, dessert, etc. This is great for those planning a holiday dinner party. There are plenty of themes like football night, Halloween, Thanksgiving, appetizer only parties, etc. The categories section is where you will find the majority of the recipes. There are four main categories: Editor’s Choice, Quick & Easy, Entertaining, and Healthy. There are also 28 sub categories that consist of roughly 2,400 recipes. The “my shopping list” section will keep track of the items you need to pick up from the store. Within each recipe, you will find an “add to list” option. If you select it, it will open a popup in which you can select all or some of the ingredients to be added to your shopping list. Then when you’re at the store, just open the app and navigate to this section and you can quickly see what you need and check them off as you put them in your cart. The last section is the Weekly Bonbon and it’s like a magazine. In this section you will find articles related to cooking from various chefs. A new article comes out every week and they are sorted by month.
Each recipe features a really nice color photo of the finished product along with the list of ingredients, straightforward instructions, and prep times. If you have a certain ingredient you want to work with, like chicken, you can search for all recipes that include chicken. The search works for any keyword so instead of an ingredient, you can search for all recipes that have the word “Halloween” in it. The only issue I had with the search function is that it’s only visible on the main page, so if you decide you want to search for something after you have navigated deep into the app, it can be a pain to go all the way back. I have talked to the developer and a fix for this will be out shortly. Last but not least, if you want to share any of the recipes, you can do so easily via Gmail and Facebook.
Since Top Recipes is like a magazine, there is a subscription. It costs 99-cents per month, which is much cheaper than any cooking magazine. If you don’t want to subscribe, you will only have access to the editor’s choice section, which isn’t all that much. The good news is that they have a 30-day free trial that won’t cost you a dime. 30 days is plenty of time to see if this app is for you, but considering the price, it’s probably only going to cater to those that really like to cook and seek new recipes. The casual cook will probably find what they are looking for through other free apps or sites. For those that choose to subsribe, Top Recipes is still at its infancy and will continue to grow. They have big plans for 2013 including a contest for food bloggers to submit recipes and photos to find the best original recipes that will be published in the app. You can also look forward to these articles for December..
- Decadent wine pairings for Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s
- Our favorite cookie recipe in honor of National Cookie Month
- How to keep your pantry “well stocked” with key ingredients for your holiday cooking
- Sensational Liquid whipped cream drink recipes made to celebrate and impress
- Our “Chefs at Home” feature continues with this month’s guest, Marcus Samuelsson
PREMIUM FEATURES & BENEFITS:
☆☆ —— More than 2,400 Recipes (Subscriber Feature) —— ☆☆
The typical recipe book includes 25, 50, 100 or sometimes, maybe even 500 or 1,000 recipes. We’ve compiled more than 2,400 of the best recipes from around the world all into just one app. Each recipe comes complete with detailed cooking instructions, estimated prep and cook times and a large, full-color photo.
☆☆ — Premium Recipe Collections (Subscriber Feature) — ☆☆
Three premium recipe collections make it easy for you to put together the perfect meal for any time of year – from family nights to holiday weekends. We’ve got your every day or special occasion breakfast, lunch and dinner all right here! The Quick & Easy Collection features delicious recipe with a cook and prep time of 30 minutes or less. The Healthy Collection includes low fat, low calorie classics like Lentil Soup or Grilled Chicken Salad to help you eat right, while the Entertaining Collection puts rich, elegant appetizers, hors d’oeuvres and desserts in the celebration spotlight.
☆☆ — NEW: The Bonbon (Subscriber Feature) — ☆☆
From family-style meals to holiday entertaining, this food and recipe magazine features a new, interesting article each week. The past articles are archived by month and can be easily accessed at any time.
☆☆ — NEW: Menus and Meals (Subscriber Feature) — ☆☆
Answer the question, “What’s for Dinner?” faster than ever. This new section features menus for every meal, season and occasion from everyday healthy dinners to an entertaining Sunday brunch. New menus are added monthly and past menus are always accessible. Find one you like? Easily share it via text, email, Facebook, Twitter and more.
FEATURES FOR ALL:
– Editor’s Choice Recipes: Try out the best Top Recipes has to offer for FREE with our Editor’s Choice recipe selections. These food finds are sure to bring a smile to everyone at your table.
– Share or Save Shopping List: Found a few recipes, but don’t have all the ingredients you need to start cooking? No problem! Add ingredients from multiple recipes to prepare a complete list for your entire meal. Save the missing ingredients to your in-app shopping list and open it at the grocery store. Or conveniently send the ingredients list to your contacts via text or email.
– Favorite Recipes Box: Add recipes to your list of favorites for easy access, anytime. Never lose a recipe you love again! It’s your personal recipe box for your phone or tablet.
– Voice Search & Cooking Tips: Use Voice Search or Text Search to find single ingredients, dishes or recipes quickly and easily. Avoid common kitchen mistakes by reading the latest helpful cooking tips on the home screen.