In the modern world, it has become pretty common practice for an electronics user to hack their electronic device in one way or another. This has extended to hacking a mobile phone in order to gain access to things not originally meant to happen, such as changing icons and fonts or installing homemade applications for free. One device in particular that is often hacked, or unlocked, is the T-Mobile G1 handset.
Companies have been locking mobile phones for many years now. The iPod Touch and iPhone, for example, happen to be locked with Apple service. Likewise, the Google Android G1 Phone is locked with T-mobile.
How to Unlock the T-Mobile G1 Handset
One vital factor in unlocking the G1 handset is to have the unlock code. Users who have had an active account for 90 days may request a SIM Unlock Code by way of T-Mobile Customer Care.
- A user may officially receive their SIM Unlock Code by way of T-Mobile by requesting it at here .
- Make sure the phone is off.
- Take the T-Mobile SIM Card and insert it into the G1 Phone in question.
- Press and hold the Menu button while turning on the phone.
- If done correctly, doing this should boot the phone into safe mode.
- Proceed by pressing the Emergency Dial button and type in *#06# key.
- If done correctly, the IMEI number will appear.
- Write down the IMEI number and provide it to the T-Mobile Customer Care service or the third party service website and receive the SIM Unlock Code.
- Turn back to the Main Screen Menu on the G1 and Access the APN Settings.
- A list of preset, standard APN should show.
- Click the New APN button.
- Scroll down to where it says New APN setting and enter the Mobile Country Code, or MCC, as well as the MNC Mobile Network Code.
- Here is a list of the World’s MMC and MNC codes.
- Take the non T-Mobile SIM card that is planned to be used with the G1 phone and insert into such.
- Turn on the G1 phone.
- A prompt should follow requesting the Unlock Code.
- Enter the proper codes received from T-Mobile, but beware; incorrectly typing in a code more than three times can permanently lock the G1 phone.
- Entering the correct code will activate the GPRS, EDGE and 3D Data Service.
- Input the Google username and password to activate the Unlock G1 Device on the SIM card.
- Fill out the rest of the Data Settings, such as MMS, Home Page and Port.
The following is a sample of data information from heading to Menu, Settings, Wireless Controls, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, Menu Button, New APN.
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Server: leave blank
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
APN Type: leave blank
Keep in mind that non T-Mobile SIM cards must have either a Data Plan or a GPRS service activated. This is important because it will enable the G1 phone to connect to Google in order to activate the G1 itself. Once everything is activated and is good and well, the phone has been officially unlocked.