Well, AT&T may be a tad late with its pledge to update the Samsung Captivate to Gingerbread by the end of 2011, but hey better late than never, right? AT&T & Samsung have finally released the Gingerbread 2.3 update to the masses. In addition to the standard Gingerbread 2.3 features, Samsung highlights Captivate owners will enjoy the following enhancements and improvements with the update:
New User Features
- Download Management.
- Intuitive Text Input.
- New layout for larger fonts and easy inputs
- Word prediction. Multi-touch for numerical input (Shift + Numbers)
- One-touch Word Selection and Copy/Paste
- Fixed Top-menu in Gmail.
- Voice Search added into the search categories.
- Vertical play mode added for YouTube.
New Developer Features
- Enhancements for Game.
- 3D Graphic driver updates
- Additional Khronos standard such as OpenSL ES, EGL for better multimedia performance
- Concurrent Garbage Collector technology imbedded to reduce lags in playing games
So the phone isn’t going to be updated to Android 4.0 or even seeing some sort of likeness of Android 4.0, big deal. The improvements and enhancements in the 2.3 update should more than suffice for the average Captivate owner— especially after having to deal with Froyo for so long. One thing you all should note though— the update (as with most older Samsung phone updates) will not be pushed over-the-air. You’ll have to use Samsung’s Kies software (insert wisecrack or sarcastic comment here). Fortunately, Sammy includes detailed and straightforward instructions to help make the update process just about fool-proof. Captivate owners hit the link below for full instructions and be sure to let us know how that sweet Gingerbread feeling feels like in the Comments section.