Original content was a big selling point for YouTube Red, and it’s done fairly well for the site’s growth and revenue. That’s why YouTube has decided to expand those original shows even further, and they’re including new faces and incorporating brands into the mix.
YouTube is teaming up with Ellen DeGeneres, Katy Perry, Demi Lovato, and several other big stars to create content exclusively for the video platform, and it will all be ad-supported. Sounds kind of weird after talking about YouTube Red, right?
Instead of these programs being locked behind Red’s paywall, they’ll just be sponsored with advertisements. That raises a few questions about the sustainability of YouTube as a paid service, since it seems like they’re heading straight back into completely free-but-ads-everywhere territory. No word on if YouTube Red subscribers can skip past those ads, either.
As of right now, there are seven shows planned.
- Ellen’s Show Me More Show: Like nothing Ellen has done before, Ellen’s Show Me More Show is a twice-a-week series built just for YouTube, giving fans behind the scenes access to some of the biggest stars and her favorite moments.
- Good Mythical Morning: Worldwide YouTube superstars—and hosts of YouTube’s most popular daily show—Rhett & Link will go to new heights in a long-form expansion of Good Mythical Morning, giving fans even more of what they crave: larger-than-life stunts, zanier challenges, and over-the-top laughs.
- Kevin Hart: What the Fit?: Kevin will team up with celebrity friends and YouTube stars each week as they attempt to master a different trending, grueling and sometimes ridiculous workout routine.
- I Am: Demi Lovato: Global music sensation and social advocate, Demi Lovato reveals a yearlong personal journey of music reinvention and deep discovery as she dives into the writing and recording of her new album in her new series, I Am: Demi Lovato.
- Best.Cover.Ever.: From Ryan Seacrest Productions and Endemol Shine North America, Best.Cover.Ever. is a cutting-edge talent competition series hosted by Ludacris where emerging talent from across the globe submit covers to YouTube to vie for the ultimate prize: an opportunity to perform a duet with a superstar artist. Submit your cover now at thebestcoverever.com.
- The Super Slow Show: YouTube stars The Slow Mo Guys will test the latest in technology to reinvent the way we look at celebrities, music, pranks, comedy sketches and more, giving a one-of-a-kind glimpse into what the world looks like in slow motion.
- Katy Perry Live Special: It’s real. It’s raw. It’s Katy Perry. Live on YouTube, The Katy Perry Live Special will take you inside of her world, revealing the experiences and emotions she poured into her all-new soul-baring music on the eve of her highly anticipated album launch. With unique access, global reach and surprise fun packed along the way, Katy will break it all down in this album listen-along, and if you stick around long enough, there might just be fireworks.
We still have questions, but it’s clear that Alphabet wants YouTube to stand against Netflix in a market where original content is a driving factor. YouTube TV just isn’t gonna cut it by itself.