- Scare PewDiePie (S2)
- Foursome (S2)
- Untitled Smosh film
- Step Up series
- Rhett & Link’s Buddy System
- Dan & Phil Tour Documentary
- Untitled animated series
- Untitled Michael Stevens project
None of the items listed above were given premiere dates, but you should expect them to premiere on YouTube Red no later than 2017. It’s likely they start streaming near the end of 2016 or early next year.
Announcing additional original programming wasn’t all that YouTube did at VidCon 2016 on Thursday. There was a little information provided regarding the performance of YouTube Red and YouTube Red Originals.
Here’s what YouTube shared:
- Viewership for YouTube Red Originals rivals similar cable shows
- Creators featured in YouTube Red Originals get a boost in subscribers and watchtime on their channels, most of which comes from people who haven’t watch any of that creator’s content before
- Over half of the time spent watching YouTube red Originals is on mobile devices
The most impressive piece of information, at least to me, is that viewership is rivaling cable television. A similar show on a television network like MTV or Bravo gets around 1.4 million viewers per episode, which isn’t too difficult for a very popular YouTube channel to hit with a single video. In fact, a number of YouTube Red Originals are getting double or triple that for a single episode. It’s not something I was expecting being the big traditional television viewer that I am.
YouTube did not, though, say anything about the number of people who subscribe to YouTube Red.