Remember awhile back, when we reported on the 2.1 upgrade for the Motorola CLIQ being leaked? Well it looks like Moto’s test run went smoothly, as they have now made the upgrade official on their site. The process is a 5-stepper, as seen here:
Hit the break to see what’s new in the 2.1 upgrade, and to get the link to Moto’s upgrade page.
CLIQ – What’s new in 2.1
What changes should I expect after upgrading my CLIQ to Android 2.1(Eclair)?
You’ll have more Home screens, resizeable widgets, a new music player, and widgets for toggling wireless connections.
Check out all the great things you’ll be able to do after the update!
- More Google apps – Google Speech-to-Text, Google Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Google Voice Search and others have been added to make yourCLIQ even more functional
- New Android Market – Access to a larger range of apps specifically designed for devices using Android 2.1 or later
- Improved multimedia apps – Media Gallery and Connected Music Player have been enhanced for better interaction with your media
After the update, you’ll have more space on your Home screen, and more ways to customize it:
- You’ll have 7 screens to make your own.
- Resize your widgets! You can make them larger or smaller. They also rearrange easily when you drag them to new locations on your Home screen.
- Customize your Happenings and Messaging widgets by selecting the updates and messages you want to display.
- Have a few people who you always call or email or text? The new Contact quick tasks widget lets you put a picture of a contact on your homescreen and assign quick actions for that contact. So, with one touch you can call their cell or home phone, or start a text message. Talk about instantaccess! Resize the widget and you can add even more actions/quick tasks.
The update includes other great features too:
- Use widgets to toggle Bluetooth, GPS, and Wi-Fi on and off; connect when you need to, turn it off to save your battery.
- Task Manager – New feature provides information about programs running on your phone, eliminating the need for 3rd party task manager apps.
- Find and play more music, get full screen lyrics, album art, song identification, and view what others around you are listening to with Connected Music Player (MP3 Player, and Internet Radio). You can also now download songs using Amazon MP3.
- Save a quick note on your Home screen with the Sticky Note widget.
- Try out these improved widgets: Calendar, and Weather.
Exchange now has Global Address Lookup, address history lookup, and Push ActiveSync. And now you can multiselect emails (if you want to delete a bunch at once, for example).
So what are you waiting for? Go check out the upgrade page here, and get the ball rolling! Be sure to let us know how it goes in the comments!