It’s no secret that the Nexus 4 is a device that’s ripe for modifications and all, so a new mod has surfaced that allows for the device to have improved video capabilities. It appears that when you have a Nexus that’s been unlocked and rooted, the video framerate improves from 12Mbps all the way to 20Mbps. All that’s needed is a quick XML change to the following:
- Using a file browser (like root explorer/es file explorer etc) go to the /system/etc folder
- Make sure your system is mounted RW
- Search for the media_profiles.xml file and open it up in any text editor
- Once you scroll down you will see the following:Code:<EncoderProfile quality="1080p" fileFormat="mp4" duration="30"> <Video codec="h264" bitRate="12000000" width="1920" height="1080" frameRate="30" /> <Audio codec="aac" bitRate="96000" sampleRate="48000" channels="1" /> </EncoderProfile>
- Change the bitRate from 12000000 to 20000000
- Save and reboot.
Pretty exciting news indeed, right? You’ll find even more details once you hit the break.