The verdict is officially in folks— Apple has officially claimed victory over Samsung. Based off extensive review and hours of deliberation, the jury believes Samsung not only violated numerous Apple patents, but also Apple has not infringed on any of Samsung’s patents. Here’s a quick rundown of each verdict:
- Jury finds Samsung infringement of Apple utility, design patents for some (though not all) products
- Jury upholds Apple utility, design patents
- Jury upholds Apple trade dress ‘983
- Jury finds Samsung “diluted” Apple’s registered iPhone, iPhone 3 and “Combination iPhone” trade dress on some products, not on others
- No Apple infringement of Samsung utility patents
- Jury found Samsung violated antitrust law by monopolizing markets related to the UMTS standard
As a result of the jury’s decision, Samsung is also ordered to pay a king’s ransom in damages— all to the tune of $1.05 billion, while no damages are assessed to Apple in Samsung’s countersuit.