Images are circulating the internet showing a Samsung Galaxy S III that seems to have suffered kind of a serious malfunction, resulting in sparks and smoke shooting out of the casing. The user stated that it was in a car dock at the time, and luckily was able to pull over to avoid any injury. Read on for our thoughts…
Incidents like this tend to spread through the internet quickly, with a lot of over-overreaction and very little information. Since the damage is located near the charge port and not the battery, I’d imagine that’s where Samsung will be looking for clues, though the owner states it wasn’t being charged at the time. The phone has been shipped back to the retailer, and I’m sure we’ll find out more after they pull it apart. For now this is an isolated incident that doesn’t seem to be an epidemic, so let’s hope they find the cause and it’s not a serious problem with the design of the phone.
For its part, Samsung stated on its blog:
There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY S III that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.
Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.
So there you have it. We’ll keep you posted.