With services like Slacker, Pandora, Spotify, and others, satellite radio provider SiriusXM needed to seriously adjust their offerings to stay competitive. They just announced a new update for their Android app (version 2.0) for smartphones and tablets. Now with the internet radio app, users can now pause, skip forward, and rewind content as well as start songs or shows form the beginning and replay up to 5 hours of programming.
The full list of new features include:
- Start Now allows subscribers to go back up to 5 hours to select and listen to previously broadcast programming on many channels, allowing them to hear SiriusXM content on their own schedules.
- Tune Start™ automatically starts the currently playing song from the beginning so listeners will hear the whole song when tuning to any music channel.
- Pause live radio and pick up where the listener left off.
- Listeners can replay a song or segment with a single click, or skip forward to hear what’s playing next.
- Show Finder™ is an easy-to-use electronic programming guide offering a complete list of what’s on over the next 7 days by channel, with the ability to set reminder alerts when favorite shows are broadcast.
- Organize favorite shows on one easy-to-access screen.
Subscribers of SiriusXM don’t necessarily have access to the internet radio service. It costs an additional $3.50 per month, but they do offer a 7 day free trial. As far as these features go, SiriusXM plans on offering this same capability to newer hardware as well.
Full press release:
SiriusXM Launches New Features for SiriusXM Internet Radio App for Android Smartphones and Tablets
Free update to SiriusXM Internet Radio App lets subscribers replay up to 5 hours of programming; start songs and shows from the beginning; and pause, skip forward and rewind previously broadcast content
Access to the new expanded SiriusXM channel line-up, including SiriusXM Latino channels, as well as live play-by-play from the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, NASCAR, PGA TOUR and more
NEW YORK – April 30, 2012 – Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) today announced a free update to its SiriusXM Internet Radio App for Android smartphones and tablets, giving subscribers more control over how they listen to SiriusXM’s programming on mobile devices.
“This updated and enhanced SiriusXM Internet Radio App for Android, the top smartphone platform in the U.S., now gives current and future subscribers access to more programming, including more live sports play-by-play, and more control over when and where they listen to their favorite SiriusXM channels and programs,” said Jim Meyer, President, Operations and Sales, SiriusXM. “We are pleased to bring these new and exciting features to our subscribers, and we will continue to evolve our SiriusXM Internet Radio offerings this year by adding greater functionality on smartphones, mobile devices and online.”
Key features of the SiriusXM Internet Radio App update for Android smartphones and tablets include:
- · Start Now allows subscribers to go back up to 5 hours to select and listen to previously broadcast programming on many channels, allowing them to hear SiriusXM content on their own schedules.
- · Tune Start™ automatically starts the currently playing song from the beginning so listeners will hear the whole song when tuning to any music channel.
- · Pause live radio and pick up where the listener left off.
- · Listeners can replay a song or segment with a single click, or skip forward to hear what’s playing next.
- · Show Finder™ is an easy-to-use electronic programming guide offering a complete list of what’s on over the next 7 days by channel, with the ability to set reminder alerts when favorite shows are broadcast.
- · Organize favorite shows on one easy-to-access screen.
The update to the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for Android devices is part of the continuing rollout of SiriusXM 2.0, a major upgrade and evolution of SiriusXM’s satellite and Internet delivered service that will ultimately span hardware, software, audio, and data services.
Included in the SiriusXM Internet Radio App update is a new design that gives customers access to album art and artist biographies, adding information and depth to the SiriusXM music experience and enhancing the visual appearance on Android smartphones and tablets. Technical updates in the SiriusXM Internet Radio App also include improved audio quality and performance on cellular networks.
The SiriusXM Internet Radio App is available for free from Google Play. The SiriusXM Internet Radio App update will be automatically made available to current users on Android smartphones and tablets. For more information, please visit www.siriusxm.com/android.
All SiriusXM Internet Radio subscribers will receive the existing critically-acclaimed programming from SiriusXM, as well as the full expanded programming lineup including channels created with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; Tiësto’s Club Life Radio featuring music created and curated by electronic dance music superstar DJ and producer Tiësto;ESPN SportsCenter; UCB Radio featuring underground sketch and stand-up, improv comedy from Upright Citizens Brigade; and Carlin’s Corner featuring albums, concerts and comedy from the archives of the legendary George Carlin.
SiriusXM Internet Radio subscribers listening on smartphones and other mobile devices also have access to live play by play–with no blackouts—from the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, NASCAR, PGA TOUR, Formula 1, English Premier League soccer and Notre Dame football and basketball.
All SiriusXM Internet Radio subscribers get SiriusXM Latino, which includes 19 channels of the most comprehensive Latin programming lineup available to radio listeners, including 10 exclusive commercial-free music channels covering a wide variety of music genres, including tropical, salsa, merengue, Latin pop hits, Latin hip-hop, Latin rock classics and more.
Subscribers will also get content from leading providers of Spanish-language sports, news, talk and entertainment, including: ESPN Deportes Radio; MLB en Español; multiple Deportes en Vivo channels which will carry Spanish-language play-by-play of NFL games, an expanded lineup of MLB games, world-class professional sports as well as major college programs; 24/7 news and talk from RadioFórmula México, the leading radio broadcaster from Mexico; and CNN en Español. SiriusXM Latino also includes Cristina Radio featuring iconic talk show host Cristina Saralegui and advice from leading experts on lifestyle, health and family programming for Latinas, as well as ¡Inspírate!, an inspirational Spanish-language talk channel offering listeners compelling news and advice for a fuller, more meaningful life.
Listeners can register for a 7-day trial to listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio on Android smartphones and other mobile devices. For more information on the SiriusXM channel lineup in English and Spanish, please visit www.siriusxm.com/newchannels andwww.siriusxm.com/latino.