Chrome for Android Beta just received an update, and they finally added two features I’ve been begging for: the ability to download files and request the desktop version of websites. Unfortunately it’s still only available for Android 4.x devices. Version 0.18.4409.2396 is available now in the Play Stores. Full changelog below and hit the break below for download links.
- You can now request the desktop version of a website, in case you would rather not view the mobile version.
- You can now add bookmarks as shortcuts on your home screen, so you can get to your favorite sites faster.
- Choose your favorite apps to handle links opened in Chrome.
- Have a proxy setup for Wi-Fi access? You can now use Chrome with the system proxy configured in Android settings.
- Allow for download of files to the device
- Complex Text Layout (CTL) and Right to Left (RTL) text support in rendered pages
- Enable old-style YouTube embed content to be played via native YouTube app
- Support for country-specific suggested search engines.